MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

18 January 2006

FECK THAT NOISE



Proving once again the axiom that PEOPLE ARE STUPID (and supporting "Karma's a bitch!"), a New York organization ("SFSE") is attempting to trademark the phrase "stitch and bitch". Now, I'm relatively new to knitting, but it doesn't take a frickin brain surgeon to figger out that the phrase logically predates their 1997 coining of "stitch and bitch cafe". Knitters, sewers, quilters, basically any kind of crafter must have at one time thought, "Gee. I would just like to gather with like-minded others and do a little stitching. And since little Johnny's been such a handful these days, I wouldn't mind a little bitching, between us girls."

Baby. The first knitting book I purchased (and pretty much the incentive for me to really get into the craft was Stitch n Bitch, by Debbie Stoller. Granted, the book was published in 2003, but she's been using that phrase since (at least) 1996.

I understand this is a money-driven society, and everyone wants to stomp the heck outta everyone else, just to get a leg up. I don't like it, but I understand it. However, sending cease-and-desist letters to local groups of knitters who like to sit around and chat (and drink!) is beyond ridiculous. I don't care if SFSE sends me ten such letters. I am going to STITCH and I am going to BITCH. Nya-nya-na-nya-nyah!!!! I am going to boycott SFSE and all their products (not that I'd use them anyway b/c they're sew stupid), and support Free to Stitch.

Oh, and SFSE? In the immortal words of the knitting curmudgeon, (who I'm sure is pursuing a trademark as we speak),

6 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

are you kidding me?

i hereby trademark the phrase: fuck all y'all mother fuckers.


so there.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

'Kay. I wanna trademark: "YOU STUPID, DUMBSHIT, GODDAMNED MUTHAFUCKER!!!"

I don't care if it's already been done by Offspring. I'm making like SFSE and pretending I'm the first!!!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Me trademark "Bite Me"? Um, that would kinda be like trademarking "Stitch and/&/'n' Bitch, I think?

Here's hoping that the power of blogging will help bring those SFSE fucktards to their knees.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Marilyn - I meant that sarcastically. That's like the *last* thing I would imagine you would do!

Oh, and I thought of one more phrase I want to trademark: "Signed, Epstein's Mother."

I don't know why. I just think it would come in handy!

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger jenifleur said...

You know when they were going after the cafe press stores I thought, "this is a dumbass move." I hated it then, but they possibly had a leg to stand on (see the words: scant, spurious) however evil it might have been for them to pursue it. Now that yahoo groups is forcing SnB groups to change their names or be deleted it's becoming serious. I hope that this will be the fuel that was needed to fight it.

I'm trademarking "Screaming Twats". Both with and without the quote marks.

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jenifleur said... I'm trademarking "Screaming Twats". Both with and without the quote marks.
cani get that on a tee shirt 4 me n my bf?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home