MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

19 June 2007

Crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrazy House Guest!

We have a house guest. I picked her up last nite in Venice, where she had traveled to from Valencia, and previously from Las Vegas. Jman and WMG are taking her to San Diego tomorrow. Girl gets around!

Her name is (now) Pockets.




She's a happy gurl.





She's kinda crazy.



Pockets is a rescued doggie from a construction site in Las Vegas. She is the sweetest, goofiest, most amusing little dynamo. She's going to her "forever" home in San Diego, which, fortunately, is the home of Baby O! and Steven, so we'll get to visit her. WMG is already enamored, but Pockets is a little too "high energy" for our family. To quote her original rescuer, "This little girl is a solid bundle of energy, who has NO problem jumping 4ft straight up!!" True dat - she tried to get at my salad last nite!!! AND SHE EATS VEGETABLES (or at least, lettuce and cucumber). How weird is that?!

When I brought her home last nite, WMG had her heart set on sleeping with her, so after I read WMG a story (and Pockets settled down), I waited for WMG to fall asleep. Jman came to WMG's room to tell me he was going somewhere, and Pockets totally protected her - barking at him like a maddog from the bed. Which, of course, woke the WMG up, so I had to lie down with her a little while longer. After she was asleep again, I snuck out of the bed. It wasn't until I was opening the door that Pockets got up. She scratched at the door a little bit, but then went back to bed with WMG. An hour or so later, I decided I should let her out, so I came and got her. Took her to the yard, she did her business, then came back to the door and scratched. Like, "I'm done!" So I put her back in WMG's room. She wanted to be with us so she whined once. I shushed her. She whined one more time. I shushed her again. And that was the last I heard from her. When I went in this a.m., she was sleeping in bed with the WMG. And I know WMG got up at least once to turn down the fan in her room, so she had NO problem with Pockets.

Jman and MEWP took her to the bus stop, which I know THRILLED WMG, and then when she came back, she was all hyped up (she LOVES herself some chillinz). She found an empty water bottle, and was running it all over the place like a dervish. It would slip from her jaws, so she'd kick it, attack it, then run again. I ended up taking it away only b/c I was afraid she chew it up (and eat some of it) when I was in the shower. When I was getting ready in the bathroom, she'd run from WMG's room to my room, to WMG's room, to the kitchen - it was like The Pockets & Pockets Show. :)

Her only "thing" (other than being on crack) is she tends to be a little aggressive with other doggies. Of course, the several that we met on our walk were aggressive toward her, so it was not untoward.

I feel good about having Pockets visit, because I can love her and not feel like I'm betraying the memory of Jaggers. They are *completely* different personalities, and love of one doesn't affect the other. I know, this may seem obvious, but it took actually experiencing it to make it real for me.

I think I might actually make it through this.

We'll be puppy-sitting for the next two weeks, but that doesn't really count as "recovery" because she's family.

6 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger Sachi said...

What a wonderful little treat. But please, heed my warning. The fact that Pockets barked at hubbs when he popped his head in the door and the whole protection of children things has to be addressed. Please ask Pockets' family to get some professional training. If they don't, pockets could end up harming a family member as she might see the child as her possession rather than her master.

We are currently dealing with the poodle's similar problem. He believes me to be his possession and therefore listens to nothing I say, snaps at M and we think he'll bite a kitty someday, just for wanting to be on the bed.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

pockets is adorable, and has an adorable name.

i'm glad you're participating in the underground puppy railroad.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Sachi - I really appreciate your concern. Fortunately, Pockets' "forever" home is with my good friend 'Dre, who just happens to be both a dog trainer and runs a rescue (anyone in the market for bulldogs? She's got 'em). Her previous doggies have been/are a Tosa (japanese mastiff) and an American Bulldog. If anyone can train Pockets, it's 'Dre.

Miss K - thanks. It makes me feel like I'm doing something worthwhile. It also is confirming that compared to most doggies, Jag was a friggin rocket scientist, if ya know what I mean.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger mj said...

Having lost my cat of 7 years in a very short, horrible period of time, I can really empathize with your pain. I finally did get, not really a "replacement" but a whole new personality, about 4 weeks ago. It helps, but you have to be ready for it. I'm so sorry about the loss of your furry friend.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Viva Scrapper! said...

Awww she's a precious little ball of energy!

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

damn... I love Pockets!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home