MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

11 June 2007

Ah, The Week's End

Well, it's been a bit over a week, and although the uncontrollable, heaving, body-wracking sobs have subsided, I still sometimes feel socked in the stomach and an unbearable ache of sadness. Really. This has been harder than ANY break up or death or anything I've ever experienced, and I've been through a LOT.

However, lest you think me morose beyond repair, let me share with you an annecdote of the Wee Monkeygurrl. Jag went down on friday, early afternoon. Jman and I decided not to mention anything to WMG because she had a big weekend - four performances of her school play, culminating with a big dinner celebrating her grandfather's birthday. The Gparents, my 3 brothers, Jman and one sister-in-law were to attend the final performace of the play. 2 brothers and the sister-in-law weenied-out of the play at the last minute, but the fabulous Uncle Douggles stepped up to the plate, driving up from San Diego on Sunday to watch the show. He's the best.

Anyway, WMG did not mention Jag for the entirety of the weekend. Not unusual, as she's mostly focused on herself. Monday night was her guitar recital, which the grandparents were attending. G-mutha asked about Jag whilst WMG was getting ready, but I told her we weren't talking about it in front of WMG yet.

Cut to Tuesday morning, everything's chaotic as I get her packed for school. She asked her dad something, and he went into the kitchen, bawling, mumbling "Ask your mom." Wuss. She looked directly at me and asked, "Where is Jag?"

I sat her down; I patiently explained how Jag was hurt and old and there wasn't anything the vet could do to make her better, so we put her to sleep. My heart was breaking; Jman was snivelling in the back of the house; the tension was so thick you could feel it.

WMG responded, "Oh." Small pout. "Well, can we get a new little doggie - you know, to make YOU feel better?"

That's my girl. So resilient. So strong, so psychotic. She was hitting me up for a little purse pooch before Jag even got sick, there was an opportunity, and she took it. You gotta admire panache like that!

5 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Half the battle is knowing when the adversary is weak. THEN you strike... ;)

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Uccellina said...

Argh. Kids.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

she did it right. you must be very proud.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger JenL said...

She is one smart cookie and most photogenic. Love the picture.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

Man, you gotta cute kid and a smarty too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home