MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

22 December 2006

An Actual Conversation

When I was hitting up Jo-Anns the other nite for some last minute finishing touches to holiday goodies. I was at the check out when a man interrupted me and the cashier.

"Excuse me, I hate to be a bother, but can I ask you a question?" he said to the cashier.

"Buddy, you already did," thought I.

"Can you tell me where else there is to get yarn?"

The cashier and Customer 2 (an interesting cross between an extreme crafter and an obsessive bargain hunter) both mentioned Michaels, to which he had already been, and found the yarns better at Jo-Anns.

I noticed his companion, a very sweet, shy blond girl, and asked her what kind of yarn she wanted. "Mohair..." said she.

Smiling, I said, "Oh, you want the good stuff."

The cashier suggested "Mild Wiber"** on 14th. "Oh, don't go there," I said, "They're not very nice."

Customer 2 agreed, stating that she lived near the owner, who already has her fortune and runs the store solely as a tax write-off. I mentioned Compatto, on Wilshire, and that they were very nice, or if she wanted more variety, to check out Yarns Unlimited on Pico. They have *everything* there. The couple thanked us, and took their leave.

But the conversation didn't end there.

Cashier: "I guess you're right about Mild Wiber. We've asked her to extend her hours, but she didn't have any interest."

Customer 2: "Yeah, the owner is my neighbor. I've asked her to teach me to knit. . ."

Me: "Oh, well, if you want someone to teach you, go to - "
Cashier and Me: Stitches from the Heart!!

Lesson Learned: If you don't need my business, and you act accordingly, I won't patronize your store (I know you don't care). But if you're kind and helpful and take care of your customers (even those who may be viewed as working for competing businesses), word will get around.

** Y'all know who I mean by "Mild Wiber". Right?

4 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mild Wiber? I love your thinly veiled references.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yayy! Excellent Post, MonkeyGurl! The public has a right to know who's naughty and who's nice!

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

I've been to that Mild Wiber store too and totally agree with your post!
I bet Santa's taken notes on who was naughty and who was nice!

Like Ellen said above great post MonkeyGurl!

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Sachi said...

Heehee!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home