MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

11 September 2006

Who Do I Think I Am?!

I swear, sometimes, I think I'm channeling Ellen.

First, on my day off last week, I drove out to Eagle Rock to visit
That Yarn Store. Which was further east than I'd imagined, and since it was such a lovely day, I took all surface streets. Through East LA, Los Feliz, Silverlake and Atwater. I saw some things that until now, I'd only heard of, the LA River. And Senor Fish. The sun was out, the top was down, and if I had a decent camera, I would have taking a bazillion pictures.

So, *this* weekend, I got up EARLY on saturday. I had to hit A Mano's sale before all the crazy knitters gathered at the one-a-month saturday WeHo SnB made it back to the west side.

Unbeknownst to me, it was also the day of the Venice High School flea/farmers' market (kind of a po' manz Santa Monica HS FM). Since I aspire to be Ellen, I had to check it out.



Fortunately, it was like a bunch of crappy garage sales in one place. A couple of people had some good stuff, but were asking ridiculous prices (e.g., an old (not vintage) necklace for $178. Who the heck are you kidding?!?!?!!)

I wasn't quite so lucky at A Mano. Man, that sale was off the hook! I copiously fondled some Socks That Rock yarn. Now I know what all that fuss is about! Not only was it painted in the most beautiful colors, but it is unbearably soft and fluffy. I could totally see making some baby items from it, but could not justify the purchase (even if 25% off).

I had a much nicer experience at A Mano than I did my first time (wherein it was claustrophobically crowded and the crowd was unnecessarily rude). It was fun chatting with the people that work there and the few customers that came in. Of course, the person affiliated with the store was a bit of an enabler; I expected that. What I didn't expect was a WeHo-SnB-based enabler. Thanks. Thanks a LOT.

All in all, I did pretty well. I got two BAGS (because that meant 50% off, rather than 40% if bought as individual skeins)of Noro Lily, one in fuschia and one in cranberry. I can always use them for SOMETHING. :) There was a color combination of orange and black that was oh-so-tempting for the forthcoming festivities, but I was a good girl and held back. So good that I rewarded myself with some blissfully soft and gorgeous sock yarn that WILL be used for baby clothes. Hey, it's low-maintenance, high yardage. What more could a girl ask for?


I was so pleased with my early morning out, I let myself be convinced to see a movie, AT the theater!Culver City movie theaters are the best - even with their smaller screens, they are still built on the "stadium" model, so there is no bad seat. And I have to tell you, although this contained a little more adult language than I would have liked (especially since I took WeeMonkeyGurrl), this is a funny-arsed movie. Rent it if you don't get to see it in the theater. I was literally laughing through the entire friggin movie, and that *rarely* happens when I'm sober.

WMG had a little fun with the sculptures. Yes, that's a wet-willy she's giving there!



Afterward, we had dinner at Pacifico's (just across the street from the theaters). Instead of chips, they come out with jicama and cucumber sprinkled with chili. YUM. Although the green apple martini was good (standard), I would have been better off with una cerveza mas fina, if ya know what I mean.

Finally, they claim they serve the "world's best flan". I haven't been around the world (YET), but that was some pretty darned good flan.

2 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mwahahahahahaha. And I only walked out with one circular needle. One. NEEDLE!

Pay no attention to my two previous trips that same week in which I bought scads of yarn and needles. AHEM. ;)

The Noro you bought was positively lovely. I can't wait to see what you'll make with it!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

those statues/the theater is right near my work. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home