MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

30 August 2006

WTF Wednesday

Okay, last week was more like, "what the heck, this could be interesting, here goes". As opposed to this week, where it's "WHAT THE F*CK?!" as in, what the heck are they thinking!?!?!

"Fashion".

WTF?!?!?!

People, the late 70's/early 80's was a very, very ugly time for "fashion". I know this, I WAS THERE. There is no need to revisit that particular nadir in clothing styles.

I was at Target last nite - I know, not exactly the clearing house for runway togs, but it does reflect the knock-offs thereof. And, since I don't subscribe to any fashionista mags or frequent the malls, it really is the only frame of reference I have.

It started innocently enough - I noticed a pair of maryjane (the shoe, not the leaf) slipper-socks that were manufactured to resemble hand-knit items. There goes my idea for holiday presents. But around the corner, what was lurking?!

LEG WARMERS.

Don't believe me? There's more.


(those are the slippers between the various legwarmer styles.)

When I got to the clothing department, it got worse. I've utilized the Target official pictures because they detail the offensive nature more than my camera phone ever could.

I've mocked the return to gauchos, even despite having purchased two pair myself. (I never got to wear them back then, and I always wanted to, and they're comfortable and. . .) I personally detest but (kinda) understand the whole leggings/short skirt/tunic look.


I must admit I still have a big problem with the camel cameltoe look. (I realize its more brown cameltoe, but camel cameltoe seemed funnier, somehow.)



But nothing prepared me for the horror of. . .



KNICKERS.



As in, "don't get yer knickers in a bunch". Previously enjoyed by 18th century courtiers.




To update, a la 1980, the knickersuit. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Some denim, for variety.




Oh, and as a side note? The late 50's/early 60's weren't such a banner time for women. I think most normal women (i.e., those not shaped like a pre-pubescent boy) would have a hard time pulling this one off.

8 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Sachi said...

Ew.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

i could totally pull that shit off.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger WineGrrl said...

I am all for vintage, but the eighties do not deserve to be called vintage....and let's not even talk about the seventies, unless you WANT to look like Helmut Berger....on crack.

Wino

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger tk said...

I survived the 80's once... i refuse to go back...

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

For the love of all that is sacred and holy, won't someone think of the children!!!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

{{Snicker}} Sachi - DOUBLE "ew"!!!

Miss K - you could pull ANYTHING off. And often do.

Wino - I had to look up Helmut Berger, and he was quite the fox *back in the day*, but no, I would not want to look like him.

TK - being born in the 80's does not equal surviving the 80's. Well, technically, I suppose, but...

LaurieAnn - I know!!! HUH!!! (she says sheepishly as her weemonkeygurl goes running around in an outfit that would send Madonna (the singer, not the religious icon) into spasms of envy).

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger carlita dee said...

Ah. Kickers. Nothing better for those of us who are large of hips and small of calves.

 
At 5:42 AM, Anonymous Pressure Washing Palatine said...

This was a lovelly blog post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home