MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

03 August 2006

Keep Dancin'

So here is what I decided to make for Wee MonkeyGurrl's Drama Teacher/Coach/Mentor, "MM". I wanted to use up some stuff in my stash, so I broke into the red heart stash. It wasn't because I thought MM deserved acrylic, but it is wrapped with a metallic thread, so it gives it PIZZAZ. (pizzaz?) I decided on the Strong Women Dance motif because (1) it is my favorite; and (b) MM is dealing with some heavy stuff, vis-a-vis her mom.

I doubled the yarn, and picked two colors that I thought would go together well, be dramatic, but not too christmas-y. Of course, I almost ran out of the blue, but managed to find an extra ball stashed with a sorry attempt at a christmas stocking (from last year). Good thing, because this stuff is only available at WallyWorld at christmas time, or on line. The Jman mocked me, b/c I always seem to be running out of yarn at the end of my projects. Hmmmmm....

I didn't use a pattern; I just did a bottom piece on a smaller needle (US7) in garter stitch for a tighter gauge, then picked up stitches around the edge. From there, I knit (stockinette) circular with a US10.5, and doubled the schematic for the motif (both height and width). Despite my adversion to mathmatics, it turned out surprisingly well.




All I have left is to do a strip to use as a strap (3 feet of 14 garter stitches. Woo-hoo!!!!), and sew in a lining. I only wish I had done it in wool, because I'm really not looking forward to darning in all these ends!!



The show is tomorrow afternoon, so I don't think it'll be done by then, but Wee MonkeyGurrl has one more month of summer camp, so I'm pretty certain I can have it completed in time. :) Maybe.

8 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Sachi said...

I like the dancing chick!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Nice job, my furry little monkey. (ala Craig Ferguson)

The dancing chick is way cool. You're maybe more math-smart than you let on.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

definately more math smart.

and i think it will be done in time.... maybe. :)

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Craig Ferguson. He's a tasty little morsel. As for math, I enjoy it, but it scares me. Kinda like motorcycles and dangerous men. :)

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No offense, it's really pretty and cool-looking, but...what is it?

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Anony - none taken! It's a bag. Kind of a "use as you want to" bag. I'm going to put some nice soap, lotion and fancee cookies that I paid way to much for at Cost Plus in it.

It'll make more sense when I have the strap done and attached, I promise!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Nice Work, Monkey Chick! Love the colors!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

That is awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home