MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

26 July 2006

I Shall Call You Spocks.

The idea came from this recipe. A summer sock, to be used when getting a pedicure on a cool morning (spa + socks = spocks).

HAH. As if that were possible. I don't think it will ever be cool again. Of course, I remember thinking the same thing around this time last year. But really, folks, this is just ridiculous.

Sorry. Back to the story - The Dster's birthday is coming up, and she's one of those lovely friends who always gushes about *ANYTHING* I make, no matter how ugly or annoying. I love the Dster, even tho she married the Douggles, the love of my life. I just thank the gods it was her and not some bimbo slut I don't get along with. Well, Dster is still a bimbo slut, but at least we get along.

Anyhoo, playing with the lovely MangoMoon Capelli was fun, but the size 1 needles caused my hands to ache. I guess I still have some tension issues I need to address. The First Sock seemed to take FOR EVAH; I was thinking of back-up items in case I didn't finish in time. But I suppose, like anything else, you get used to those teeny, tiny needles, and something magical happens, and the next thing you know, Spocks.

And not just one sock, but two. (please ignore my ghastly appendages; clearly I'm not of the mani/pedi ilk.)

It was quite exciting and actually somewhat depressing when I realized I would be finishing the second one last nite. Depressing because it was 2 am and still eleventy million degrees in the Crappy Little Apt, so sleep was way out of my reach.

Check this out:

I think they call it "turning the heel". It's a very clever use of stitches that makes a curvature in the tube that is the sock. Usually, it would take STEP-BY-STEP, detailed directions for me to accomplish this (I did it unknowingly with the baby Ugh! boots posted on Craftster), but in these particulate directions, they left out a *crucial* step THAT I FIGURED OUT BY MYSELF. I'm so proud I could just plotz.

So. All that's left is darning in the ends and maybe adding some beads, because the Dster is girlie like that. Plus, with all the left over yarn (2 spocks = 2/3 skein), I'm gonna make her a little keychain amigurumi-type thing.

How much you wanna bet this will be the LAST time she raves about my crafting?! (Mwwaahahahahahahahahaha!)

9 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

i love them.

they are very hobbity.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Uccellina said...

They are hobbity. And adorable. If I had those, I might actually get a pedicure once in a while.

Or maybe not.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Sachi said...

Those rock soooooo hard!

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger JenL said...

So cute! I think hobbity is a good thing.

And you get extra double bonus points for including the word plotz.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Denise!
I'm plotzing right now, just looking at the faboo tabi socks! Excellent execution of poorly written instructions, My Dear!

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Tres adorable. Plus, you get bravery points for showing your own feet without a pedicure.

off topic--have you heard the new New York Dolls song?

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

You guys are so cute; but unfortunately, I believe its my feet (rather than the spocks) that are hobbity.

JenL - I may not be Jewish, but I've had some Jewish in me!!!

LA - I do not believe I've had the pleasure; right now, I have Plain White T's "Hate" stuck in my head. It's a good song...

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

I love them too! I'm with Kendra...hobbit feet all around! Okay, maybe not, but I still love them.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Uccellina said...

Where ARE you? Why no Stitch 'n Bitch love?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home