MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

06 July 2006

HIII!!!! I'M BACK!!!!

And I had a very *lovely* vacation, thankyouverymuch. The first half was spent in LA, doing boring stuff (dentist, helping a friend move, etc.), but I spent FIVE glorious days in San Diego, and I really enjoyed myself. This despite two of the worst things I could ever imagine happening, happening. The first, Dr. Doug, my best friend, my ex beau, and really the love of my life, got married. Last minute, in order to (according to him) take advantage of some tax savings when selling his house. Such a romantic. I'm not happy about it, but I'm also not as devestated as I thought I would be. Yay me!

Second, Frankie, the dog rescued by first the Jman and by Dr. Doug (who was persuaded to adopt her by a relentless campaign waged by me and 'Dre, the dog rescuer), who's only purpose is to live a life of leisure in the relatively posh trappings of an upper-middle class lifestyle, decided to take yet another leap from the second story window. THIS IS THE FOURTH TIME SHE'S DONE THIS. Perhaps he's not such a prize after all. Anyway, this time she broke both her front paws. And, since he was off in LV getting marred (intentional misspelling), I was left to deal with the chaos that ensued. Lovely.

However, I did manage to spend 5 days with the Wee Monkey Gurl and actually enjoy her. Its amazing how much more fun she is when we're not both completely stressed out. I found I ate less, drank (alcohol) less, smoked less, was more active, and could actually sleep most nites. Quite lovely. I also didn't wear make-up, *any* jewelry (including a watch!), a bra or real shoes for a week. It was very liberating. Since previous time off of work consisted of moving households or achieving some goal, this is the first time I could just CHILL.

I LIKEE THAT. This, *vacation* thing you speak of. Quite nice. I'll have to do it more often!

I found I also didn't knit as much as usually. Perhaps it was for the lack of stress on my part, or b/c its kinda hard to knit whilst swimming with monkeyz. But the same was true in the evenings; perhaps it was from reverting to de eye-lan vibe, mon. I dunno.

But I did manage to finish a few (ma)lingering items.

The first is for an attorney here at FatCatLawFirm, who is adopting a 3 year old boy. We were talking about it, and it just seems patently unfair that adoptee parents don't always get the baby shower and the extra attention that pregnancy parents do. So I thought, what would a three year old want? It's not like a newborn, that has to put on whatever the parents choose. And it's not like a girl, who would love frilly sweaters or dresses. So what to make, what to make. . .

TOYS. More specifically, BOYS' TOYS (to be gender specific and completely politically incorrect. A firefighter (that started off here, but I had to change him quite a bit. Now he looks sorta like an elvis impersonator/gorton's fisherman/firefighter, but I *really* like the way his helmut came out),




a police officer (based on the same pattern, but with obvious changes; I just winged it on the hat),

and an amorphos purple animal-esque thing, personalized with his first initial, since, obviously, he already has a name!!!



I also completed a robot-esque dooby of my own design. It's really cute and will probably be gifted to some lucky tyke (younger than R-boy, I think). You'd like it if you could see it. And I'm using up some left over (really EXPENSIVE) silk from the chemo cap (which I *also* have pictures of, but Blogger. . . well, you know) for a jewelry bag - FOR ME. It was an anti-prayer knit - with each stitch, knowing Dr. Doug was in LV, I chanted (in my head), "Don't Do It, Doug!", but it didn't work. Maybe I should have completed it before the witching hour. Oh, well. (yay vacation)

Now they're beating me to a pulp at the FCLF. That's what I get for taking a vacation. :) But, it was *so* worth it. Unfortunately, that means I won't be catching up on my blog surfing any time soon. . .

edited to add pix of the boy's boyz

5 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

welcome back!

hope to see you soon? like before the next vacation?

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Welcome back!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I love the Gorton's Fisherman. He's from Gloucester, you know.

It was great to see you and the wee one last night.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Thanks so much for being so welcoming to the wee Monkeygurrrl. She's heard *so* much about my "knitting group" and was so excited to be there. She wants to come EVERY week this summer. Aurgh.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Annika said...

Hmmm. I have a Dr. Doug. Wonder if he's the same one...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home