MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

09 June 2006

How well do you know me??

You may think you know me, because you previously received this meme in e-mail form. BUT, clevah character that I am, I've edited, added, and amended the list.

For instance, did you know:

Four jobs I have had in my life:

1. National Prison Project of the ACLU - my first experience as a legal secretary. They (surprisingly) paid about the same as the fatcat law firms, but without all the pretense and attitude. It was pretty cool, and I had the greatest co-workers.

2. Senate Parking (US Senate Sergeant-at-Arms) - I worked in the Capitol buildings (Senate side), and had great fun exploring. This was pre-9/11, so we pretty much had our run of the place. The parking office was staffed by students from Georgetown, George Washington, American and Catholic universities. It was probably the erudite parking staff I've ever experienced. My biggest thrill? Meeting a handsome Marine and realizing a month later (as he was in Senate hearings) that he was Oliver North.

3. Counselor at Boys Republic of Chino - This was hard. A secure facility for troubled youths, I did a 6-month internship for my Psych major here. The boys ranged from about 8 to 18, and they had absolutely the most horrible experiences I'd ever heard (this is mid-80's, so there wasn't a whole lot of reality t.v. or CSIs or Law & Orders). I realized here that despite my unhappy childhood, there were plenty that had it far worse, and still managed to maintain a positive outlook. I admire them.

4. Coors Baseball All-Star vote taker (Anaheim Stadium). Two weekends before the all-star break. I got paid, free admission to the game, and only had to collect ballots and ward off drunken asshats. I was 20 y/o at the time; it seemed like a good idea...

Four Things that Annoy the HELL outta me:

1. The fact that my work keyboard is missing the anchor bump on the "J" key; now I have to look down to make sure my fingers are placed properly.

2. Inconsiderate, unfocused, or otherwise occupied bad drivers. At least I now have a label for my condition "IED". Although, that makes me sound like I should be buried in the roads of Iraq.

3. When I can't make up my mind. Happens way too often - way more now that I'm older. I miss being young and certain the world was black and white.

4. When the Wee MonkeyGurrl acts like she's stupid to get out of doing homework b/c she knows I'll pop a gasket, yell at her, and send her to bed. It works *every* time!

Four movies I could watch over and over:

1. POC, or POCĀ² - Love me some Johnny Depp. Especially in these flicks.

2. King Arthur - Love me some Clive Owen.

3. Beyond Borders - Love me some Clive Owen with some Angelina, too! BTW, how impossibly *HOT* does she look as a new mom?!

4. TIE: Rabbit-Proof Fence - one of the few "inspirational" movies that managed not to annoy me! Also, Jesus Christ, Superstar. What a freakin fantastic movie.

Four things that I regret most:

1. Only having the one WMG (and yes, it *IS* too late to do anything about that!)

2. Worrying too much about the opinions of people who shouldn't matter to me.

3. Doing what I was supposed to do, and being fearful of what I wanted to do.

4. Not marrying for money. Seriously.

Four places I have lived:

1. Washington, DC - actually, twice. Once (NoVa) as a 5/6/7th grader, and again (DC, proper) in grad school.

2. Milton, FL - the armpit of FLA. I was born there, and I hear it's got way more in common with Abalama than South Beach.

3. San Diego, CA - met some of the greatest people EVAH there.

4. Los Angeles, CA. Eh. I've been her 8 years, and I think I may finally be getting used to it.

Four things about me I betcha don't know:

1. I'm not as bad as most people think I am (but in my mind, I'm a whole lot worse!)

2. I'm smarter than I look (and sound, and act).

3. I am painfully, terribly shy and embarrassedd to be me. And yet, I have no problem doing stuff by myself (going to a movie, eating in a restaurant, going to a bar).

4. I have legitimately attempted suicide several times, have an on-going battle with depressive tendencies (with symptomatic behaviors, e.g., self-mutilation, body dysmorphic disorder, etc.), and still embrace the concept of dying young (despite it being too late for that as well!)

Four TV shows I love to watch:

1. Grey's Anatomy - hot men and women of all types and sizes and intelligent writing. What more could I want.

2. House - Even *MORE* intelligent writing.

3. DHC medical mysteries - the human body is an amazing thing.

4. So You Think You Can Dance - "back in the day", I would totally have made it TO Las Vegas, but probably would have been sent home from there.

Four places I have been on vacation:

1. Italy - Tuscany by way of Rome. Beautiful country.

2. France - Paris. Unbelievably beautiful and fun, despite beinggrievouslyy ill.

3. Salt Lake City - Quite possibly the best skiing, ever.

4. Taos - spring skiing. Too friggin crowded.

Four places I would like to be right now:

1. In a cool, laid back bar, drinking and dancing, with Johnny Depp. Well, pretty much anywhere with Johnny Depp, but not meeting him for the first time, b/c I'd be a completely blathering idiot.

2. Rollerblading down the boardwalk in SD, during the day when everyone else is at work/in school and I have the whole thing to myself. Well, me and those boys playing vollyball. . .

3. Salzburg, Aus. (or pretty much anywhere in Europe), walking. My dream destination for EVAH.

4. Hanging out with my friends, laughing, drinking, knitting. But mostly drinking.

So, if you've read this post, you've been tagged. Post it in your own blog and leave me a comment. Pass it along to those you think you know, or you want to know better.

Have a great weekend, everybody.

6 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

you met oliver north?

weird.

missed you last night.

will you ever return?

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Sachi said...

Tagged, eh? Why you.... Oh. Alright.

Yes, dammit. We all needed our weekly booster shot of Monkey Gurl lastnight. Now we're going through painful withdrawals which are known to be fatal in 50% of all sufferers. *Giving my best scowly face...*

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I *will* be back, I swear. I fully intended to go yesterday, but once again, the cosmos conspired against me. I fully intend on going next week, and no matter what, on the 29th, seeing as I'm "on vacation".

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Maggie The LadyHawk said...

Oliver North? Really? Yeah, he was hot back in the day.

And if you're really smarter than you look/sound then you must actually be Brilliant!

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Dude, we have the same taste in movies. Yeah, I'm with Kendra, where've you been?

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Blogger hates me. That's not news, but I had to say it. I've been trying to post for DAYS (well, at least for the last few hours). Hopefully, I'll have some pics for you soon.

And I *will* be at SnB this week. I'm missing a "Town Hall" (i.e., PTA) meeting to be there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home