MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

31 May 2006

Okay, I'm back.

I took a little vacay, in case you didn't notice. I was suffering from a serious bout of the pre-summer blahs, and didn't feel much like blogging. Or socializing. Or doing much more than what was absolutely necessary. But I spent the day last Saturday, just sitting and knitting at my favorite yarn store, and it was just the kick in the pants I needed. Maybe not enough to make this a daily blog, but at least something more frequent than once every 2 1/2 weeks.

So, while at Stitches, in addition to the excellent company of proprietor Brandi and my BFF@W, Jac, I had the certain fortune of meeting Anna, a very creative and inspirational character. She is a HOOT. She is how I'd like to be in a couple of years. Despite all the good and bad experiences she has lived through, she remains positive, enthusiastic, energetic, artistic and just a blast to be around. She taught me the "twisted German cast on", which I love not only for its usefulness (it's a stretchy version of the long-tail cast on), but for its inherently amusing name. Plus, she regaled us with stories about the tours she's taken, the people she's met and the class she may (or may not) teach. I'll tell you this much - if she's teachin', I'm so there.

The reason I happened to be at Stitches is because the wee MonkeyGurrl is in the final week before Oliver Performance Week at school. Dude. This was just a once-a-week after-school musical theater class that began in September. Martha, the after-school program director, is amazing with kids, but I'm beginning to think she thrives on self-induced stress. They have FOUR 2-hour performances. TWO of which are before a paying audience! Remember - Wee MonkeyGurrl is in elementary school; it's not like we're going to see a production at Hollywood High. And this was the second Saturday rehearsal for them - 10 a.m. until 3 p.m.!!! She's a frickin slave driver!!! Anyway, since I knew Jac would be at Stitches, I figured it would be easier (?) to stay on the west side than to take WMG to school, go back home, go back to pick her up, etc. And with gas prices versus yarn prices being what they are, the choice was pretty much made for me. When I returned to pick the wee MonkeyGurrl up, they were rehearsing their curtain calls, so I guess that bodes well. This week, the WMG is in rehearsal more than in regular class, so she's a happy camper. Since I crafted most of her costume, I hope to have updates and pictures soon.

Speaking of crafting, generally, we had a silent auction of "white elephant" items here at FatCatLawFirm. The $$ raised go to gift boxes/bags for an "adopted" troop in the middle east. People donate stuff they have but don't use, or stuff they think will fetch a good price (box tickets to a clippers game, or a round of golf at some fancy-schmancy golf course, for example). Inspired by Lady Linoleum and Kimberly Chapman, in addition to my own recent enchantment with all creatures knitted or crocheted (see amigurumi), I decided to make a couple of "snuggle buddies" over the weekend - fast, cheap, fun. I used oddball homespun (!) and made really wonky features. (of course, I neglected to take pix b/c the universe conspired against me.) Can you believe - they were in a bidding war!! The final, winning bid – $35!!! Too funny.

I'm also excited b/c my boss (who, with his wife) does some excellent woodworking, donated "a small lamp, table or cabinet". His whole house is furnished with the stuff he does. There was a slight bidding war with one of the senior partners, but at the last second (literally), I swooped in and made the last bid. Yay me. $150 for a hand made (and way better than anything you'd get at a crate & barrel) piece of furniture *made by MY boss* is not to high a price to pay! Subsequently, he informed me that the next class (they make their pieces at a local HS shop class) doesn't start until September. I think it may be his way of making sure I stick around at least until then.

So that's pretty much it for the update. (Unless you really do want to hear about the irony of my ex-beau (and best friend) putting a bid on a $1.25M house, while I had to bail out the Jman who's car was impounded because of UNPAID PARKING TICKETS.) Hopefully, next time, I'll have pictures. . .

7 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

Oh Monkey Girl, thank you for the kind words. I loved your company at the knitting table. OMG you learned the difficult Twisted German Cast-on in a flash! Faster than I was able to learn it. I showed you once and you did it! Wow!

Your daughter is adorable and I got to see her long hair. Take care and happy knitting.

Yes I will be teaching a class and will keep you posted.

ana

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

thank goodness you're back.

i almost died without you.

seriously.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Uccellina said...

Kendra and I have crawling together across the wasteland of MonkeyGurrl-less-ness, gasping and retching, nearly ready to give up altogether, when suddenly, in the distance, appears . . . could it be? A MonkeyGurrl? We would weep for joy if we had any tears left.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Uccellina said...

(Have crawling? GodDAMN. Have BEEN crawling. Way to ruin hyperbole, Uccie.)

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Ana - I don't know who that relatively well-behaved child at my side was; I'm thinking maybe a podperson.

Ucc & Miss K - I know - I've been bad, very bad. Somebody spank me.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Spank you? Dirty.
I, too, am happy to see you're alive and well. Where is this Stitches of which you speak.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Stitches from the Heart
3316 Pico Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90405
1-866-472-6903 StitchFromHeart@aol.com

They are on Pico, just west of Sepulveda (near Trader Joe's).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home