MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

03 March 2006

Knitters are Enablers In the Worst Way

True story: I forwarded a newsletter from a local yarn shop (www.unwind.com) to two women in my office that (1) I know knit; (b) I know are yarn snobs; and (iii) one of which I'm not particularly close with/to. Basically, the only reason why we have ever even had a conversation is because she heard that I knit. She's a REAL knitter - has been doing it forever, never uses anything above US2's, does amazing work, yadda, yadda. Normally I'd be intimidated by her (if I met her at a yarn store or SnB), but because I've been at FatCatLawFirm for EVER and she's only been here half that, I feel some comfort in discussing knitting stuff with her. Plus, even though I've only been knitting for a couple of years, I've done enough research and blog reading to be able to talk a good game. :) I'm good with the bluster.

Anyway, here is an excerpt of our latest email exchange:


From: Me
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 4:01 PM
To: JN, KE
Subject: FW: News -- Blog Update & More

Go straight to http://www.unwindyarn.com/shop/specials.php?osCsid=a734cc444a62e2d3a67fc429f1897fa7

They are having some amazing closeout sales on noro, SWTC, etc.
[NOTE: I drop the brand names with lowercase and acronyms, like I've EVER EVEN used them before!]



From: KE
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 4:04 PM
To: ME, JN
Subject: RE: News -- Blog Update & More

Isn't this the place that Ruth from Six Feet Under went to knit?



From: ME
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 4:07 PM
To: KE
Subject: RE: News -- Blog Update & More

:) I think so, but I'm not sure. BUT, I was there a couple of weeks ago to pick up some optimum dk - GORGEOUS. [AGAIN, the lowercase. Is this for effect? Do I really sound more learned if I don't use proper diction/grammer/punctuation??] For $5/ea. Cheaper than redheart (almost). I figure this is the fastest way I'll become a yarn snob. . .




From: KE
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 4:11 PM
To: ME
Subject: RE: News -- Blog Update & More

What are you going to make with the optimum dk?
[She's doing the same thing; in the animal world, I think that shows that they are considered equals when mimicking behavior occurs! She thinks we are equals when it comes to yarn. Yay. I got some validation!]




From: ME
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 4:17 PM
To: KE
Subject: RE: News -- Blog Update & More

:) I haven't decided! I figured I got enough of each to either make one thing with each color, or make a bunch of little things using different colors. I kinda want to start with the stuffed toy craze. Something cute and funky and anime-esque. And maybe baby stuff, although that's not terribly practical. I dunno. I just like having "fahncee" yarn in my stash!




From: KE
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 4:21 PM
To: ME
Subject: RE: News -- Blog Update & More

"I just like having "fahncee" yarn in my stash!" Yup, once you knit with the good stuff, it's hard to go back - ;-)
[AHHHH!!! SHE QUOTED ME!!!! BACK TO ME!!! The *ULTIMATE* demonstration of acceptance in email form!!!]



From: ME
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 4:24 PM
To: KE
Subject: RE: News -- Blog Update & More

:) It really is. I'm thinking about packing up all the stuff I (deep down) know I'm not gonna use and donate it to one of the many charity groups - like the one that teaches kids to knit/crochet, or Stitches.




From: KE
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 4:25 PM
To: ME
Subject: RE: News -- Blog Update & More

That's a great idea ... have a great weekend!



Ahhh, success. I feel like I've arrived!

So on that note, HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

4 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

does this mean i have to buy fahncee yarn too?

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Yup! Denise...you've arrived. Time to throw out most of that ol' Red Heart and Lionbrand. Idea...throw that old stuff my way! I love ALL yarn, I do not discriminate!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Uccellina said...

You are the awesome. Soon you will be admitted to the super-secret Awesome club. It has a jacuzzi.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Dude, keep the RHSS. It's bright, crunchy and totally machine washable! Ellen still uses it too...and she's got a gigantor stash to prove it! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home