MonkeyGurlKnits

Gin. Knitting. Monkeys. What more could you ask for?!

29 November 2005

It takes a certain kind of crazy

So. Wish I had pictures. They always seem to make blogs more interesting. Or at least, I'd have proof. But it's probably just as well.

Remember how I decided I would make a sweater for Baby O's birthday? That I started on the Tuesday nite, before the big Turkey Day weekend, which is the weekend of her first birthday? Okay, that was crazy. What I did was knit like a lunatic Wednesday and Thursday nites, and by Friday, all I had left to knit were a sleeve and a half. I was really starting to think it was going to be do-able, b/c the finishing is real simple. [want a great pattern? go get "Haiku" off of Knitty.com.]



All I had to do was have dinner with Dog Rescuer and Southern Boy (Baby O's parents), then knit like crazy, but it was DO ABLE.

Then the hammer hit. The other shoe fell. Whatever euphemism you want to use, but the bottom line is . . . the elixir of satan, WODKA. Oh, and it was mandarin wodka mixed with

Sparkling friggin clementine.

I have no idea what "clementine" is (other than a relative of the orange and the object of some dude's affections), but with WODka, it sho' is good!! Beyond good. nectar of the gods. Rival to MommaJuice. Oy.

So, by the time we got back "home", I was rarin' to go. Ready to take on the world. But (perenially idiotic me), I measured the completed part of the sweater (both front panels and the back). One question - WHY?!?!?! I never bothered with that nonsense before?!?!!. Naturally, my gauge was off, by about 1 stitch/inch. Which means about 3 inches extra length, since I was using chunky yarn. Which led to me FROGGING THE ENTIRE THING, THINKING I COULD REDO IT THAT NITE!!! Oh, sure, I could have used the bigger size for my own monkeygurl (who has been BUGGING me to make something for her), and sure, there was another yarn I wanted to use *anyway* b/c the lighter color would go better with Baby O's beautiful eyes, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I had to RIPPIT. The whole ding-danged thing. All those hours of work frogged in about 15 minutes. And then I started again. At 2:00 in the a.m.

NOTE TO SELF: Do not make major decisions, knitting or otherwise, at 2:00 in the a.m., especially after WODKA and Izze.

I got a whole sleeve done by the time of the party.

Good thing these are great friends and were very happy just to have us share this momentous occasion.

ON ANOTHER NOTE,

Purl (www.crazyauntpurl.com) is collecting small toys to ship to Afghanistan. She has a friend who takes photos of the country and meets lots of wee bairns. He looks like a nice enough guy

so I doubt he'll be keeping all the previously-loved beanie babies for himself, but you never can tell these days. . .

ANYWAY, since a fellow Slave to the Firm has already given me a BAG of goodies to give to Purl, I'm using it as my compelling reason to finally go to the WeHo SnB on Thursday. But - SHHHHH!!! Don't tell them - I want to be able to turn tail and run if (when?) I lose my nerve!

5 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

no way. you will totally be there.

i will be holding my breath, so if you don't show, you'll be guilty of murder.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

:) I certainly have been accused of worse. . .

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Oh, come on! We're all really nice at the WeHo SnB. We'd love to see you!!! Looking forward to it.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

you better be there.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I guess I *have* to be there, now. Since I have (literally) bags o' toys and (more importantly) Ms. K knows my home address and can hunt me down and Pickle me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home